Wednesday 21 May 2014

Virtual outfits by a virtual shopper


Love to shop, but don't love debt. So I am diverting myself with virtual shopping: curating the cute, cool, and covetable in the sometimes sad and lonely polyester (AKA "breathable woven fabric") world of plus size and seeing what can be achieved with the rather ordinary, affordable plus size clothing via strategic deployment of new and vintage accessories.

The blog is inspired by a recent  wtf, plus size clothing manufacturers? contest (to create an outfit in size 28 and under $150 for Roxy--see site for details).

My cutesy names are clearly a rip-off of Mod Cloth--but they are ripping off--um, inspired by-- 1960s Barbie fashion, so it is all OK and cool in a retro, inter-textual, girl culture sort of way. And having the chance to play with presentation--however crudely*--is why I'm not just listing stuff on pinterest.

(* FYI, it's called "bricolage" a French term with a long history in the arts which literally translates as "I can't be bothered using photoshop to make this stuff look perfect.")

This is me having fun. (I used to paint and go thrifting in my spare time, but oil paints are expensive and messy, ditto thrifting, at least when you go at it with Olympic level intensity and live in a house with no closets as I also do.) But if you want to give me a particular challenge like put together a starting-to-work wardrobe for under $200 in plus size whatever, let me know and I'll give it a go.

Here are the outfits I put together for Roxy (who specified no heels, a preference for boatnecks and wide scoop necks, horizontal stripes and poofy sleeves, plus anything with animals). A lot of them incorporate ASOS items which officially go up to US22, but many bloggers who wear 24+ have found items to fit on this cool and useful UK site.


 

1. "Opposites Attract" 





2. "On a French New Wavelength"






3. "Deco Dame"








4. "Job Hunt!"




(I should add that the brooch is from MODaccessoiries--and doesn't it look like it needs a third rhinestone, maybe in pink?)

 5. "Obi Cute"






(I should add that the bag is from VIVALASVINTAGE on Etsy.)


 6. "Green Thoughts in Green Shades"




7.  "The Girl in the Jellyfish Bangle"


(FAB jellyfish bangle is from buymycrap and the lovely clutch is from lighthousebags on Etsy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment